We post our newsletters as needed, sharing any ALS developments, as well as information regarding our fundraising events.
To automatically receive our newsletter via email, please subscribe here.
If you have any news worthy contributions to our newsletter or would be interested in volunteering regarding the publishing of the newsletter, please contact us.
Some of the questions that you may have regarding ALS can be found in the publication "A Manual for People Living With ALS".
The manual was published by the ALS Society of Canada and it is an excellent resource. A copy of the manual can be downloaded here.
The French version of the manual is also available here.
Please note that the ALS Society of (Windsor) Essex County disclaims any liability for the accuracy of the material in the manual and does not disseminate either medical or legal advice. Throughout this publication, people with ALS are advised to consult with their healthcare professionals.
- A good rule of thumb to remember - as long as the patient is safe or that no harm can come to them - chances are that what you/they were thinking of doing is perfectly fine.
- It is always a great idea to involve your family physician in your care. The family physician needs to be kept in the loop - the most common way being reports sent directly to them from London. But seeing the family doctor at least every six months is a good idea. That way he (or she) can monitor you and will be a great resource in your care.
- Our organization is available by phone to answer questions. Home visits can also be arranged to answer questions and help sort out who does what.
- We have a range of equipment available that can be borrowed. If we do not have the piece of equipment that is needed - we will consider helping to fund it. We do not cover home renovations but please feel free to ask for input or assistance in anticipating future needs and things that should be taken into consideration. We also do not assist in vehicle modifications or purchases.
- We also assist in leasing of communications equipment, which range from regular desk type computers to the "talking" computers.